Urban Prep Academies believes that all students have a right to a safe and healthy school environment. The district, schools, and community have an obligation to promote mutual respect, tolerance, and acceptance.
Urban Prep Academies will not tolerate behavior that infringes on the safety of any student. A student shall not intimidate, harass, or bully another student through words or actions. Such behavior includes: direct physical contact, such as hitting or shoving; verbal assaults, such as teasing or name-calling; and social isolation or manipulation.
Urban Prep Academies expects students and/or staff to immediately report incidents of bullying to the principal or designee. Staff who witness such acts must take immediate steps to intervene when safe to do so. Each complaint of bullying should be promptly investigated. This policy applies to students on school grounds, while traveling to and from school or a school-sponsored activity, during the lunch period, whether on or off campus, and during a school-sponsored activity.
To ensure bullying does not occur on school campuses, Urban Prep Academies will provide staff development training in bullying prevention and cultivate acceptance and understanding in all students and staff to build each school's capacity to maintain a safe and healthy learning environment.
This policy is to be followed by every student while on school grounds and when traveling to and from school or a school-sponsored activity.
• Any student who engages in bullying may be subject to disciplinary action up to and including expulsion.
• Students are expected to immediately report incidents of bullying to the principal or designee.
• Students can rely on staff to promptly investigate each complaint of bullying in a thorough and confidential manner.
• If the complainant student or the parent of the student feels that appropriate resolution of the investigation or complaint has not been reached, the student or the parent of the student should contact the principal.
The procedures for intervening in bullying behavior include, but are not limited, to the following:
• All staff, students and their parents will receive a summary of this policy prohibiting intimidation and bullying: at the beginning of the school year, as part of the student handbook and/or information packet, as part of new student orientation, and as part of the school system's notification to parents.
• The school will make reasonable efforts to keep a report of bullying and the results of investigation confidential.
• Staff who witness acts of bullying shall take immediate steps to intervene when safe to do so. People witnessing or experiencing bullying are strongly encouraged to report the incident; such reporting will not reflect on the target or witnesses in any way.